Here is a follow up on the importance of Spring Cleaning from Part 1 and why it is so important to do so, especially in the new year, AFTER flu season is coming to an end, and simple ways to help you get jump started on what may seem a daunting task.
1. Clutter is mentally exhausting, and people need to clear out the dust and dirt to avoid sicknesses, such as asthma and allergies.
2. Springtime is the time for new beginnings and growth.
3. When people physically let go of useless stuff (things they have not used in a year, be it clothing, electronics, packaged foods, coupons, magazines), clean and open up the house and workspace, it allows for fresh and clean air and the light.
4. Psychologically, people make room for new ideas and projects.
5. Beware of Trapped Energy: Everything has energy. Keeping your home and mind in disarray with dirt, clutter (unfinished to-do lists) and debris tend to create pockets of negative energy.
6. Really clean your home, polish silver, wash windows, wipe down the light bulbs in your lamps, wipe down the walls and re-wash some old clothes that you intend to keep. Everything will gleam, glisten and smell fresh. The effect will be cathartic and make you feel like you have accomplished something.
✿ If you are looking to improve your health, get rid of all the items that are cluttering and blocking the energy flow in your kitchen (especially your cupboards, freezer, magazine racks and random pen drawers.)
✿ De-clutter the refrigerator; clean the stove and all the pots and pans. Let go of all harsh chemical kitchen cleaners and go for natural ones.
✿ Thoroughly clean and clutter clear your bedroom and your bathroom, get rid of anything that you haven't used in the past 6-12 months. Clean from under the bed and give away (donate) shoes that you have not worn in over a year.
✿ Clear the space under the bed, desks, sofa, and clear the window surroundings. Refresh and re-decorate for spring in both your bedroom, living spaces and your bathroom.
✿ Put a fresh plant in each room to increase the good energy flowing through the home.
✿ Room Surface Spray Cleaner
❀ Ravensara – 25 drops
❀ Lavender - 15 drops
❀ Lemongrass – 10 drops
❀ Emulsifier (your choice) 1 teaspoon
✿ All Purpose Cleaner - 2 oz
✿ Blend the essential oils together and add to emulsifier. Mix well then add to your All Purpose Cleaner (or distilled water). Shake well and use to clean just about any surface. This blend of essential oils is a wonderful disinfecting blend.
✿ Lemon- Mint Cleaning Blend
❀ Lemon– 40 drops
❀ Peppermint – 5 drops
❀ Emulsifier – 1 teaspoon
❀ All Purpose Cleaner – 2 oz
❀ Blend the essential oils together and add to emulsifier. Mix well then add to your All Purpose Cleaner (or distilled water). Shake well and use to clean just about any surface.
Add 1-2 drops of lavender or geranium essential oil into your vacuum bag to keep it fresh and to diffuse the scent into the air as you clean. Remember to clean and change out the bag when finished.
To add fragrance or to improve the antiseptic action of your liquid soap , add several drops of essential oils like spruce, pine, lemon, bergamot, and orange. You can also add a few drops of these oils to dishwasher to help disinfect and purify it.
Whether you're removing smells from pets, cigarettes or cooking, you can make your own essential oil carpet deodorizer easily freshen and sanitize your carpets.
Simply diffuse your favorite essential oil into the house, and stay away from plug ins that are artificial, or wax candles. Use instead, bees wax, organic soy, or essential oil candles. Best bet, open windows and let the fresh air flow through the air, and pick organic flowers to help keep the house smelling fresh and fragrant.
Article Sources: Birchhillhappenings.com, housebeautiful.com, psycheuniverse.com, dynamicfamilyhome.com, psychologytoday.com, fengshui.about.com, escencearomatherapy.com.